Color Scheme Psychoanalysis
by Christian Y. Cardall
Rather than adopt one of the Blogger templates out-of-the-box, I spent a nontrivial amount of time developing a color scheme and overall look-and-feel that was to my liking. Why did I spend so much time at this? Does it say something about my personality, in the way handwriting analysis might? Perhaps such issues can be illuminated through that classic, penetrating tool of the analyst---the Top Ten List. What are the top ten reasons my template looks the way it does?
10. It's got that "monochrome chic" thing goin' on---very sexy.
9. It's the perfect gender complement to this color scheme.
8. The "reverse video" (light font on dark background) is an embodiment of "perspectives unfamiliar": this doesn't look like other Mormon blogs, and may say things the others don't, either.
7. Even the comments box is in reverse video. Hence commenters are reminded, even as their words appear in this unfamiliar way, that this is a place to stretch their thinking. (What would really be cool is to have their words appear not inside the comment box as they type, but outside the the comment box---as an explicit reminder to think outside the box!)
6. Nostalgia for simpler times: reverse video is the way monitors always looked when I was first exposed to computers (Apple ][+, Apple //e) in Junior High School.
5. Reverse video is the naturist way God intended. The screen is beatifully and naturally dark; no need to clothe it to excess, wastefully and obnoxiously lighting up excess pixels.
4. Sans serif fonts, and the absence of extraneous icons, bullets, lines, and other baroque flourishes. contribute to a sleek, minimalist, modern feel---sort of like Scandinavian furniture, or brushed metal finishes. Occam's razor, let's get down to fundamentals. No framing of excess hypotheses around here.
3. Geek Chic: All true Geeks set their terminal windows to reverse video. Canvass the Geeks you respect---those who actually use unix/linux---and see if this ain't so!
2. Welcome to the dark side, baby.
1. If I can't have an Audi A8 L W12 in Night Blue Pearl, with Platinum leather interior, 20" alloy wheels, adaptive cruise control, solar sunroof, satellite radio, and personal refrigerator (MSRP $128,120), at least I can make my blog look like one (if not perform like one---Blogger has its limitations!).
0. I had to come up with a color scheme to match the only digital picture I had readily available to use in my Blogger profile: my classic deer-in-the-headlights security badge picture from work.
So, it turned out to be a top-eleven list in the end. Good thing the Arabs invented zero!
Another analytic tool, one my parents taught me, is the pro/con list. Anything you don't like about this template? Suggestions for improvement?