Thursday, October 27, 2005

Brilliant Conspirators

No, I’m not talking about the Banner of Heaven (see here, here, and here). I’m talking about President Bush’s political operation. I haven’t seen or read any news coverage yet, but my wife just called to tell me the Miers nomination has been withdrawn. Brilliant! It’s perfectly timed, of course, to compete with news of Rove and Libby indictments. The next brilliant step will be to announce the new nominee tomorrow to increase the background noise on the very day of the indictments.

This much is obvious to everyone; but it gets even better, and more sinister. Here’s my conspiracy theory: They’ve known for months that indictments were likely, so they put up a phony nominee on purpose, possibly with her own knowledge and complicit participation, knowing it would create an outcry and prove untenable—all with the purpose of carefully preparing long in advance a sufficiently big distraction to blunt the impact of the indictments.

Such is the corrosive and wide ranging impact of the Banner—I am now inclined to distrust the Bush administration, which I generally support. (Of course, I can’t help but notice that Rusty’s numbers must be huge… I’m not above parasitically tagging along on the excitement of the whole thing to try and bring a little attention to what Aaron once called my little ”puny ass blog” here. Aaron, you’re the bomb. You go girl!)

11 Comments:

In my defense, I attempted to get that thing published at their blog but they didn't bite. I wish I had those kinds of numbers when I had something to say about a Gospel topic, but alas, it is not to be :) 

Comment by Rusty | 10/27/2005 02:05:00 PM  

If it is a conspiracy, it's an amazingly stupid one considering how this affected so much of his base and led to many people calling him a lame duck his first year. I'm not sure what's worse, Bush doing this as part of a plan or Bush doing this sincerely. 

Comment by clark | 10/27/2005 04:53:00 PM  

Rusty,  I don't think you need any defense. I linked your two posts on the subject because I thought they were good.

Clark, I don't actually think the Miers nomination was a conspiracy—that would be pretty ridiculous. While this post was ostensibly not about the Banner, in part it really was. I was being ironic, trying to say something about how (un)seriously people should take this Banner business. 

Comment by Christian Y. Cardall | 10/27/2005 05:20:00 PM  

You might want to put in the spam filter confirm plug ...

carefull:

I'm a
Slithering Reptile
might get believed ;)

 

Comment by Stephen M (Ethesis) | 10/28/2005 06:46:00 PM  

Stephen, LOL, you've got a point.

I'm not aware of this spam filter. How do I get it? It's become a real pain lately. 

Comment by Christian Y. Cardall | 10/28/2005 08:42:00 PM  

Stephen, as you know Blogger sends an email when a comment is posted. Ironically, my mailer thought your comment was spam and marked it as such! It was lucky I read it. 

Comment by Christian Y. Cardall | 10/28/2005 08:45:00 PM  

It is an option on your control panel.

Settings

Comments (a sub menu that isn't obvious)

Show word verification for comments?

and use the "yes" radio button.

 

Comment by Stephen M (Ethesis) | 10/30/2005 07:17:00 AM  

Oh, you might as well turn on pictures as well.

;) | 10/30/2005 07:17:00 AM  

Many thanks, Stephen. I made the change. (I already had pictures turned off.) 

Comment by Christian Y. Cardall | 10/30/2005 04:02:00 PM  

I understand your concern about the dastardly Bush administration and their drive to destroy the American Republic. But if we were able to survive the fluoridated water, I think we can survive the Libby indictments.  

Comment by DKL | 11/03/2005 01:26:00 AM  

Just to repeat what I said to Clark above, I don't really think the Miers nomination was a pre-planned distraction. I largely support the Bush administration. I may have been too subtle for those who don't know me well, so let me explain myself clearly: I was tongue-in-cheek when it came to the deep part of the conspiracy. My intent here was to poke fun at those who would imagine such a deep conspiracy, and then use those manufactured perceptions of malicious intent as a basis for casting suspicion on the administration as a whole. In this respect it was also something of a pre-emptive lesson on how seriously I thought people should take the (at the time) burgeoning Banner episode. 

Comment by Christian Y. Cardall | 11/03/2005 09:18:00 AM  

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home