Monday, November 14, 2005

Spinozist in Seattle

[UPDATE, 8 December 2005: I’m adding an image that shows the Seattle skyline roughly as it looked from my window at the Watertown hotel, and also reminds readers of the source of this post’s title!]

Travel being an occasional part of my work, I thought it might be interesting to start giving a shout out to those places I visit.

You see, reading Ronan’s post about his recent trip to Utah made me feel the loss of a similar missed opportunity. I gave a talk in the Physics and Astronomy department at BYU the last week of September, but by failing to announce that trip here at my blog, I deprived Utah Bloggernacle readers of the opportunity to hear about “Core-collapse Supernovae: Phenomenological Bonanza, Computational Challenge.” I tremble to think of the irredeemable loss caused by this unconscionable oversight!

This time: Seattle. I arrive today and depart Friday morning. I’ve been there a few times before—love the place—but I’m always grateful for sightseeing and restaurant suggestions from the locals (and anyone else with local knowledge). And if by chance you’re attending SC|05, be sure and stop by Oak Ridge National Laboratory’s booth, to learn about the National Center for Computational Sciences, the supernova simulations going on there, and—of course—to say hello.

6 Comments:

Where are you staying?

If you're close to downtown, I suggest eating at Anthony's Pier 66. hey have the best gumbo I have ever eaten. And they have TVs in their washrooms.

I also suggest checking out Pike Place Market. In particular, there is a cheese place on the north side of the mall. They have awesome cheese. I doubt she'd remember me, but you can mention that I sent you. I bought some provolone cheese imported from Italy back in July; she highly recommended it. Mention that I was Canadian; she made a big deal of that.

J. Stapley may have more suggestions since he lives there. 

Comment by Kim Siever | 11/14/2005 12:01:00 PM  

Drop me an email and I will give you my phone number. Let's get together for lunch or dinner. 

Comment by J. Stapley | 11/14/2005 01:18:00 PM  

Kim,  SC|05 is downtown in the convention center, but my boss only decided at the last minute to send me, and all the (decent) downtown hotels were booked. So I ended up at the Watertown, a hotel I like in the University district that has a free shuttle downtown.

Thanks for the tip on Anthony's. I've been to a couple places on the waterfront in the past, but I'm not sure if Anthony's was one of them. (I'm sure one of them was Ivar's.) I've also been to the Pike Place market. I love cheeses, and will definitely check that place out if I get over there. 

Comment by Christian Y. Cardall | 11/14/2005 08:30:00 PM  

If time permits, a nice way to spend a quiet evening is to take the ferry from Seattle to Bainbridge Island. The crossing time is just over 30 minutes. Also, if you enjoy glass art, there's a Dale Chihuly exhibit at the Foster/White Gallery in downtown Seattle and a Louis Comfort Tiffany exhibit at SAM.

Also, beware of the weirdos on the "Ave." (the main street across from UW) in the evening. 

Comment by Raine | 11/15/2005 11:35:00 AM  

I remember when I was one of those weirdos on the Ave.

There's a great Italian place in Ravenna, which is pretty close to the U-District. If you want details I can look it up, can't remember offhand the name.

If you like bookstores, there's always Elliott Bay Bookstore in Pioneer Square. It's got a cozy cafe in the basement (it's usually the place people will tell you the basement cafe in Frasier was based on).  

Comment by Susan M | 11/15/2005 12:16:00 PM  

Raine  and Susan M., thanks for the interesting suggestions.

It's true that some of University Ave is a little seedy, but I think the whole area is undergoing a rejuvenation. There's a new Chipotle's for example. And sometimes the weirdos aren't enough to keep me away from a late evening trip to Aladdin's, a hole-in-the-wall gyros place (gosh I miss gyros in Tennessee). 

Comment by Christian Y. Cardall | 11/15/2005 01:31:00 PM  

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home