Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Devolved but not Devalued

By way of brief respite from heavy philosophizing, let’s discuss ‘devolution.’ Rather than wade through some academic-sounding definition, you can familiarize yourself with this concept by watching a fantastic advertisement for Guinness. From human to primitive amphibian in 60 seconds may seem like a Hollywood fantasy, but one day a week or so ago, The Spinozist Mormon suffered a similar fate overnight. Of course my heart sank, but I was reassured by the fact that the Spinozist's market value held firm or even rose during the same period.

The Truth Laid Bear (TTLB) ecosystem is a blog ranking system consisting of 14 ecological niches, ranging from Higher Beings at the top to Insignificant Microbes at the bottom. A blog’s rank is based on the number of other blogs that link to it. You can see TTLB’s links to The Spinozist Mormon here (this link is permanently on my sidebar near the bottom).

For awhile The Spinozist Mormon oscillated between a Flappy Bird and an Adorable Little Rodent, apparently depending on whether one of my posts was current at Mormon Archipelago; but after my sudden devolution (talk about punctuated equilibrium!), I now find myself oscillating between a Lowly Insect and a Slimy Mollusc. After initial panic—Did everyone suddenly dump me from their blogroll because of something controversial I said?—I saw that Times and Seasons was no longer a Large Mammal or even Marauding Marsupial, but a mere Flappy Bird, and I felt better. Later I found the sudden renormalization explained here.

When I speak of The Spinozist Mormon’s market value, it is with reference to another blog ranking system called BlogShares. To quote the site itself, “BlogShares is a fantasy stock market for weblogs. Players get to invest a fictional $500, and blogs are valued by incoming links.”

BlogShares information on The Spinozist Mormon can be seen here (also linked on my sidebar). One interesting thing about BlogShares is that it categories blogs by “industries,” and one of these is “Mormon / Latter Day Saints,” which you can peruse here. Perhaps surprisingly, Times and Seasons is not number 1, but number 2. The Spinozist Mormon is way down at number 44.

Are any bloggernacle denizens active in this BlogShares trading game? I bought shares in myself, but that’s it, and I’m not following it actively. I stumbled across my blog’s listing there by accident, and I have no idea how it got listed. Unlike many of the Mormon blogs on the list, The Spinozist Mormon has many shares available for purchase.

The bottom lines of this (oh so important!) post are twofold. (1) Link to me. I am willing to reciprocate. Push me up the food chain, increase my market value. I may never be an exalted Higher Being, but it’s always nice to move up. (2) The Analyst’s Report at BlogShares says of The Spinozist Mormon: “This is a growing blog (BUY), This stock is underpriced (BUY).” Buy Spinozist!

12 Comments:

Uh oh. When'd it happen? I wonder if I have fueled this fire by commenting so prolifically in my aggressively cerebral, atheistic and not-so deferential-to-faith way. Sure stands to reason. If so, sorry! Maybe I'll trade e-mails with you in the future, Christian, or at least reduce my comments here to non-obsessive levels. 

Comment by MT | 12/06/2005 01:24:00 PM  

MT:

I love the dialogue. Keep it coming.

Christian: what are the potential returns, the P/E ratio and the cost of shares? I'm always looking for the next hot investment. 

Comment by Mike W. | 12/06/2005 03:13:00 PM  

Christian, I noticed this devolution too. Oh well, at least its only importance in the bloggernacle. I've blogrolled you over at the Messenger and the Advocate , to help boost your food chain possibilities. Feel free to check us out, and list us, if you would be so kind, at your convenience. 

Comment by Guy Murray | 12/06/2005 11:12:00 PM  

MT, you skimmed a little too quickly. (I don't blame you for skimming, I do it myself.) Nobody dropped me from their links; there was renormalization at TTLB that affected many blogs' levels, including Times and Seasons.

I of course hope all comments remain civil, but being honest about your point of view is fine here. My feelings about what I'd like this blog to feel like are in the last couple paragraphs of my first post . 

Comment by Christian Y. Cardall | 12/07/2005 06:58:00 AM  

Mike, the P/E ratio and some other statistics are visible to those who are registered (which is free) and log in. Both the P/E ratio (now 6.01) and the stock price (now $9.15) nearly doubled overnight. I guess "talking up" the stock yesterday really worked! (May be a temporary bubble. ;-> )

I know P/E stands for price to earnings ratio, but I don't really know what meaning to take from the number (how or when it suggests buying or selling, etc.)
 

Comment by Christian Y. Cardall | 12/07/2005 07:08:00 AM  

Guy, thanks! You're now linked here too. I hadn't seen your blog but will take a look at it. 

Comment by Christian Y. Cardall | 12/07/2005 07:18:00 AM  

Forgive me, Blog and Christians everywhere, for I have truly skimmed. I blame my nature and my nurture even while accepting personal responsibility and knowing full well that it all has a finite chance of coming back to me. I shall strive henceforth not to stray so far from that which has been written and continue to sound off as my inner voice dictates, unless sense, taste or prudence argue otherwise. 

Comment by MT | 12/07/2005 01:38:00 PM  

It could be worse.

You could be a Crunchy Crustacean.

Flappy bird was so much easier to spell. 

Comment by Crystal | 12/07/2005 09:06:00 PM  

Well, Crunchy Crustacean at least has a nice alliterative ring to it. 

Comment by Christian Y. Cardall | 12/08/2005 07:19:00 AM  

Whew! I had wondered why my evolutionary status had plummeted so far!

I was about to slink back into the primordial ooze from which I crawled . . . .

Okay, so not really.

When I first started my blog, I like looked up every little fun bloggy thing I could find, like the blogshares. I've neglected it, though, of late, although I do have well let's say billions. I wish it was from knowing how to play the market, but it was a gift.

Anyhoo, you just may find yourself bought up by ME, as I like to own blogs I'm interested in. Hee!

Linking you, if you like you may link me! 

Comment by sarebear | 12/10/2005 12:01:00 AM  

sarebear, thanks for link. I've linked you too. I see you bought the remaining shares too! The price has risen dramatically. 

Comment by Christian Y. Cardall | 12/10/2005 06:51:00 PM  

Yes I did. Glad to have helped, lol! 

Comment by Anonymous | 12/12/2005 01:51:00 AM  

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home