Monday, January 16, 2006

Chapel Hill, NC: Young Rock and Religious Studies

An unfortunate and unprecedented pair of back-to-back trips: on the (Tar)heels of last week’s travel, this week I spend a few days in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, home of the University of North Carolina.

It’s perhaps not surprising that there aren’t many movies relating to Chapel Hill. In fact the only thing I could find to continue my recent tradition of movie images commemorating my travel destinations was Chapel Hill: Young Rock, a documentary of this university town’s music scene during it’s peak of the early 90’s.

UNC also boasts Professor Charlesworth, famous expert on the Pseudepigrapha with occasional connections to FARMS. I seem to recall an account of John Welch showing him the chiasmus in Alma 36. Was he persuaded it constituted evidence of antiquity? As I recall his response was something along the lines of, ‘Mormons are fortunate. Their book is very beautiful.’

Another thought on religious studies at UNC: A few weeks ago I heard part of an interview with Bart Ehrman, the chair of the UNC religious studies department on the NPR show Fresh Air, who is, oxymoronically, agnostic. Is this common in religious studies departments? I may not be remembering this exactly right, but it seems he had gone from something like Episcopalian to fundamentalist Evangelical to agnostic, based on the fact that the words and message of the New Testament could not be recovered with sufficient accuracy to be relied upon.

On the radio show he spoke of how the four gospels had different theological agendas and that harmonization of them ought not be imposed. As I recall he said Mark depicted a suffering, bewildered Jesus, while Luke portrayed a more transcendent, powerful Christ (for example, compare the Mark’s plaintive ‘Why hast thou forsaken me?’ to Luke’s Christ confident of arriving in paradise declaring, ‘Into thy hands I commend my spirit.’) He argued that Jesus’ suffering in Gethsemane, sweating drops of blood, is not in the earliest manuscripts of Luke, and that it was likely added by a later scribe in an attempt at harmonization with, say, Mark’s theology of the suffering Christ. This would seem to be an interesting question for Latter-day Saints, since King Benjamin speaks of the drops of blood. Any insight out there from all you LDS Bible scholars out there? In any case, Ehrman’s many works on the New Testament look interesting.

Perhaps what I need to know more urgently, however, is whether the music scene in Chapel Hill remains sufficiently vibrant that I might be able to catch a decent act on a Tuesday or Wednesday night (tonight is out, as I’d like to watch the continuing season opening of 24!).

One final connection: Aaron Fenton, the Duke lacrosse player whose stolen image represented Aaron B. Cox, gives rival UNC headaches!

9 Comments:

The Independent Weekly  is a good place to check for Triangle area shows.

I'm up the road in Durham. Drop me a line if you want any pointers on things to do/see. 

As for movies, Patch Adams was filmed on location at UNC.
Comment by Bryce I | 1/17/2006 03:10:00 PM  

I wish you were a little closer to Charlotte. I'd love the chance to get to meet you and join you and Bryce (he's an old friend) for dinner or something. 

Comment by Chad Too | 1/17/2006 04:44:00 PM  

Oh! Oh! You need to get some Carolina BBQ. Bullocks in Durham is a local favorite, but Breadman's in Chapel Hill is a better establishment, IMO. And get some banana pudding too.

I wish I knew anything at all about the Triangle music scene these days, but it's been way too long since I've lived there. But chances are there'll be somebody decent playing somewhere while you're there.

...actually, you should post this question at BTD forum. There are quite a few regular posters there who live in the area, and some of them (I'm thinking of Xenic in particular) are really into music. | 1/17/2006 06:37:00 PM  

Bryce,  that's a great resource! I've convinced one of my colleagues to check out one of the local bands with me tomorrow night.

Chad Too, too bad indeed!

Allison, for sure BBQ is a must. Definitely on the schedule for tomorrow. Breadman's is close by so I'll probably try that. 

Comment by Christian Y. Cardall | 1/17/2006 10:16:00 PM  

don't know if you'll see this in time, but the definitive BBQ in the area is at Allen and Sons . Ask a local for directions.

Bullock's is great for the atmosphere, though. 

Comment by Bryce I | 1/18/2006 11:39:00 AM  

Bryce, thanks for the tip! Hmmm, Allen and Sons is highly ranked at tripadvisor.com, so that may win out unless Allison makes a strong case that Breadman's is superior...

Thanks to Bryce's pointer to the Independent, we're thinking about going to see Seven Minute Bender  and Tamasha at The Cave. Walked by the place yesterday, looks like a dive, but whatever... 

Comment by Christian Y. Cardall | 1/18/2006 02:53:00 PM  

Amen to the above. If the day ever came that I had to leave NC, True Carolina BBQ would definitely be the thing I would miss the most. 

Comment by Chad too | 1/18/2006 05:53:00 PM  

I don't remember going to Allen and Sons, although we probably did at some point. Breadman's selling point is that unlike many BBQ joints, all the sides are very fresh and good. Too many BBQ places neglect their other dishes (although I admit Bullocks has the best hush puppies ever and some pretty decent Brunswick stew). | 1/19/2006 10:11:00 AM  

I ended up going to Allen and Son. The BBQ sauce was unlike any I've ever had---but very good! They didn't have banana pudding (though they did have bread pudding I think), and I ended up getting blueberry pie with vanilla ice cream, both of which were homemade.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions! 

Comment by Christian Y. Cardall | 1/20/2006 01:23:00 PM  

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home